Sunday, May 22, 2011

What is a successful life? my selection of books

Most important question of all time. What is the best way to live our only life? I am trying here to summarize some of the most important books on the subject for me (I am open to suggestion as well) and some of their key messages.

What Is the Good Life? - Luc Ferry

This is one of my only book near my bed in my bedroom at all time. I always need to re-read one or two paragraph of it. This book explains how the different philosophies in the history tried to answer this question. From Stoicism, Nietzsche, Freud and Christians, Luc Ferry is giving us a philosophic course and stay clear and simple at the same time. This is a must.

Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis

A novel about the meaning of life. The main character is Alexis Zorba. Zorba plays the santuri, has had a family and many lovers, has fought in the Balkan Wars, has lived and loved-his knowledge is rooted in love, suffering, sweat, and blood. He is a simple but deep man who lives life without shame, bares himself, has no guile or guise, and lives every moment fully. I wish i could sing, dance and enjoy life as Zorba.

Happier by Tal Ben-Shahar

Quick and simple book that summarize the last scientific studies on happiness. A bit repetitive and fuzzy but still a good read. Useful to get practical daily advice to become happier.

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen R. Covey

Super famous book from Covey. Everybody know this one. There is a reason why it is successful though. Practical steps to have a successful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment